BA (Hons), NMT HDip, MHFST, MATL
Hi and welcome! I’m Tanya and I set up TDR Academy in Ballyclare in 2010 after working in a variety of establishments since 1992 in my varied areas of interest. I aim to use the wealth of experience, education and knowledge I have gained over my lifetime, and what I continue to learn, to provide you with a range of services that fall under TDR. Below is my quick summary, and then full details are given - it's a long story!
I believe that there is a sport and/or activity for everyone and I have a particular interest in helping people recover and rehabilitate from injury to get their bodies moving again.I have a passion for sports….of all kinds! It started in school when I studied PE at GCSE and A level and continued on to University where I did a BA (Hons) Degree in Sport & Leisure.
Gymnastics, squash and springboard & platform diving were the sports that I pursued through school and university and I competed in both nationally and internationally. I held the Ulster and All-Ireland Diving Titles from 1997 – 2007 and was a medal winner in the British Universities Diving Championships (1998) and the FINA World Masters Springboard & Platform Diving Championships (2004). I further competed at the European Masters Diving Championships (2007) before retiring.
In 2011 I was honoured to receive the Service to Gymnastics Award, awarded by British Gymnastics and British Gymnastics NI.
I have tried my hand at most sports and activities from ballet and boxing to circus acrobatics and pole vault. I’m fully qualified in a multitude of areas as a coach, trainer, instructor, lecturer, assessor and internal verifier. I’ve even had my 15 minutes of fame as a stunt woman in the Hollywood movie – City of Ember!
I’m a great believer in continuous learning so every year I undertake training courses, many with world-class teachers, to ensure that I’m up-to-date with the latest methods and can provide the treatments and classes you want, on your doorstep.
I hope to see you soon in a private session or in one of the classes.
If you wish to learn more about me, read on to see more information on my background, education and experience information. I hope the information provided below gives you a deeper insight into what I can offer you at TDR Academy.
On a personal level, I have competed in a few sports at both national and international levels, and for the most part had to design my own training programmes and where relevant my own choreography.
- 6 years - artistic gymnastics;
- 4 years - squash;
- 10 years - springboard and platform diving;
- 5 years - pole fitness.
- Since 2011 - I practice my skills for each of my classes
Within all areas, I have achieved the following results:
- N. Ireland squad in Artistic Gymnastics and competed at the British Gymnastics National Championships 1991
- School Javelin winner 3 years running
- School squash team, number 1 rank for 1 year
- British Universities Diving Championships - 2 silvers - 1998
- World Masters Springboard and Platform Championships 2004 - silver, bronze and 6th places
- European Masters Diving Championships 2007 - 7th and 8th places
- Ulster and All-Ireland Diving Championship Titles - 1997-2007
- Great British National Masters Diving Championships - numerous medals from 1997-2007
- Polercise Intermediate Championships - 2nd place 2006
- X-Pole Factor Ireland Professional - 1st place 2007
- Pole Princess Ireland Professional - 2nd place 2009
- Irish Pole Championships Professional - 2nd place 2010
- All-Irelands Pole Championships Professional - 3rd place 2010
- Polercise Princess Elite category N. Ireland - 1st place 2011
- All-Irelands Pole Championships Professional - 5th place 2011
- Service to Gymnastics Award (BG/GNI) 2011
- Ballyclare Business Awards March 2016 - Runner Up for Service with a Smile
- Ballyclare Business Awards July 2017 - Nominated and Shortlisted for Best Professional Service Provider
- Ballyclare Business Awards May 2018 - Winner of Best Professional Service Provider and Nominated and Shortlisted for Most Innovating Marketing Campaign
I have experienced a wide array of sports from individual to team sports. I believe practical experience can help you understand the human body and the physical and mental requirements of any form of exercise. Each sport and form of exercise is so diverse in its demands, and a practical insight to these is an advantage. Therefore, I am always willing to give something a go, as it helps my understanding for my work!
Some examples of activities I have had the opportunity to be involved in and in some cases compete in, are; ballet and various dance styles, Pilates, yoga, freestyle fitness yoga, acro yoga, sports acrobatics gymnastics, trampolining, golf, hill walking, mountain climbing, abseiling, squash, javelin, pole vault, weight training, swimming, boxing training, surfing and bodyboarding, stand up paddle boarding, skiing and snowboarding, various adrenaline sports in New Zealand and Australia (e.g. skydiving and whitewater rafting) and circus acrobatics such as Chinese pole, trapeze, silks, aerial hoop and aerial yoga. CrossFit Gymnastics is another of the training courses attended, focussing on strength training through gymnastics, using the rings, parallettes, bar work and handstands - pure strength!! Last but not least, I played a small part as a stuntwoman in the Holywood movie "City of Ember"!
It's all a lifestyle choice I guess and I have always loved keeping active!! Any suggestions are certainly welcome for that next new and interesting challenge!
I have been working in the health, fitness and sporting industry since 1992 as a qualified professional and have gained a wide array of experience in many related roles:
- From 1995 - qualified gymnastics coach (level 4 senior coach) & judge (8 years as a national judge for British Gymnastics)
- From 2006 - British Gymnastics tutor & assessor, for courses up to UKCC level 2.
- 7 years - springboard & platform diving teacher (ASA level 2 teacher)
- 4½ years - gym instructor for David LLoyd and Newtownabbey Borough Council;
- 4 years - fitness consultant – fitness testing and/or training with various groups, e.g. Belfast Community Circus (involving working with amateur and professional performers) and Polercise Belfast, e.g. pole flexibility and conditioning.
- 1 year - sports science laboratory assistant (laboratory & field fitness testing of sports teams and individuals and research testing on PhD projects);
- 11 years - lecturer and assessor (NVQ) in various further and higher education colleges in a number of sports, personal training and massage related courses.
- From 2010 – TDR Academy was formed providing Body work Treatments in Ballyclare.
- From 2011 - classes and personal training commenced at TDR Academy.
I have undertaken many qualifications and attended many courses in this field due my love for learning in sport, exercise, health and wellness. It was all kickstarted through GCSE and A-level PE, which led me to do a BA (Hons) Degree in Sport & Leisure. My most recent training in Functional Movement Screening (FMS) and Selective Functional Movement Assessments (SFMA) enabled me to meet the world renowned practitioner Gray Cook, and the author of "Movement: Functional Movement Systems", amongst a team of many other inspiring practitioners. These courses integrate those that are injured through the process of injury rehabilitation with treatment and exercise and then effectively when discharged from treatment, effectively reintegrates the entire body into exercise by screening and training imbalances and areas of weakness to enable a safer return to full training. This is a phase of the recovery from injury that is very often missed in today's typical rehab process of 'treatment followed by discharge and return to full training'.
With regards to treatments, I have been working as a qualified professional in clinical practice since 1998 - running a private clinic open to anyone for appointments, and various event and team work. I have worked with:
- World, European and Commonwealth level swimmers through the Ulster & Irish swimming squads (1997-1999) and table tennis players
- Various private international athletes
- National triathlon and ironman competitors
- The Royal Ballet 1998
- Many international circus performers, with a strong collaboration with Belfast Circus School since 1999
- Lisburn Half Marathon Event (every year since June 2005)
- Groomsport Half Ironman 2011
- National level motorbike racers
- Various sports clubs, running clubs (East Antrim Harriers and Co. Antrim Harriers), cyclists and individual athletes
- Ballyclare May Fair Race Event (every year since 2015)
- The corporate sector, such as Piggy Pot, Rumble Labs, Navinet, Rehab Studio, Power NI, Hendersons and in particular Allstate NI since 1999, dealing with employee wellness, stress management, workstation set-up and back care.
- Gran Fondo Belfast 2016
- New Zealand's Womens' Rugby Team The Black Ferns - post tournament Sports Massage Therapist 2016
- England Womens' Rugby Team - Sports Massage Therapist at Womens' World Cup 2017
I have also undertaken many qualifications and attended many courses in this field with the highest level of therapy qualification I have gained being a Higher Diploma in Neuromuscular Therapy (Advanced) at which I had the privilege of being trained by the world renowned Leon Chaitow and Judith DeLany, and including the amazing Don Kelley in amongst a team of many other inspiring therapists. I am continually attending courses to further develop my knowledge of the body and treatments, and the link with exercise techniques as learning and staying up-to-date are key priorities to help me facilitate my work at the highest level. I am also qualified at the highest level of training in Sports Massage Therapy (Level 5) in the UK, and was in the first small group trained in N. Ireland in 2015.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
I have invested a lot of myself, my time, my effort and my money into advancing my knowledge, my experience and abilities in working within this industry to the highest level. I choose the courses carefully and aim to train with the best in the industry to allow me to bring the best to you.
THERAPY ASSESSMENT, TREATMENT & MASSAGE RELATED QUALIFICATIONS
- V.T.C.T. Management of Sports Injuries Diploma, Advice and Post-Medical Treatment for Movement Injuries Certificate and Sports Massage Certificate - 1998
- Emergency First Aid renewed every 3 years (St. John Ambulance Public First Aid from 1998-to date)
- V.T.C.T. Aromatherapy Diploma and Body Massage Diploma - 2000
- Back Care Through Exercise ('Exerscience' Fitness Training) - 2000
- Soft Tissue Release Course (CPD) - 2001
- Bodywork Techniques (CPD) - 2002
- V.T.C.T. Indian Head Massage Diploma - 2002
- ITM Nuad Bo-Rarn Thai Massage (Level 2) - 2003
- V.T.C.T. (I.I.S.T.) Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy – 2004
- An Introduction to Neuro Linguistic Programming Workshop (NLP NI & The Success Foundation) - 2005
- V.T.C.T. (I.I.H.H.T.) Level 3 Counselling by a Therapist Certificate – 2005
- V.T.C.T. (I.I.H.H.T.) Level 3 Reflexology Certificate – 2005
- N.O.C.N. Compassion Fatigue Course – 2005
- V.T.C.T. Level 2 Certificate Thermal Auricular Therapy (Ear Candling) – 2007
- V.T.C.T. Level 3 Diploma Health, Safety, Security & Employment Standards – 2007
- KTREG Clinical Kinesiology Taping Course – 2011
- NTC Higher Diploma in Neuromuscular Therapy (Advanced, Level 6), including Dry Needling – 2011
- Human Motion Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Level 1 – 2012 & Certified Examination Passed 2013
- Human Motion Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA) Level 1 – 2012
- NOI Group Mobilisation of the Nervous System – 2013
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy – 2013
- Human Motion Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA) Advanced Level 2 – 2013
- Health Matters Ltd Display Screen Equipment Assessors Course - 2013
- Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) according to Kolar, Basic Course A - 2014
- Graduate Certificate in Manipulative Therapy, Postgraduate Manual Therapy, National University of Medical Science - June 2014
- VTCT Level 5 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy - Aug 2015
- Stuart McGill Workshop - Building the Ultimate Back from Rehabilitation to High Performance - Sept 2015
- Neurokinetic Testing (NKT) Level 1 - Oct 2018
EXERCISE, CORRECTIVE MOVEMENT & TEACHING QUALIFICATIONS
- BA (Hons) Sport and Leisure Studies - First Class Honours, with commendation in Diploma in Industrial Studies, and full colours for outstanding sporting achievement - 1999.
- Emergency First Aid renewed on 22/07/2015 (St. John Ambulance First Aid from 1998-2015)
- Back Care Through Exercise ('Exerscience' Fitness Training) - 2000
- City & Guilds D32/D33 Assessors Award - 2001
- Team Pulse Group Cycling Instructor: Module One - 2001, and Two - 2001
- City & Guilds (7307) Certificate in Teaching Adult Learners - 2003
- CNI Core Stability Workshop - 2005
- Speed Agility Quickness Foundation Award Certificate (SAQ Ireland) - 2005
- Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym) – 2010
- Go For It Enterprise Development Programme Training Course – 2011
- REPS Level 2 Suspension Trainer Award – 2011
- NTC National Qualification in Stability Ball Training – 2011
- Pilates Institute Ireland/NTC Level 1 Pilates Matwork – 2011
- REPS Level 2 Group Fitness Box Award (Boxing) – 2011
- Pilates Institute Ireland/NTC Pilates Small Equipment – 2011
- REPS Level 2 Kettlebells Trainer Award – 2011
- Faster Health & Fitness Advanced Functional Trainer Assessments – 2011
- TriFly Air Fitness Instructor REPS Level 2 – 2012
- Group X Training Freestyle Fitness Yoga Instructor Level 2 – 2012
- Pilates Institute Ireland/NTC/CYQ Level 3 Certificate in Teaching Mat Pilates – 2012
- 1st4sport Level 3 Certificate in Introduction to Assessment Practice in Sport – 2012
- TriFly Aerial Yoga Instructor – 2012
- CrossFit Training CrossFit Gymnastics Course – 2012
- Pilates Institute Ireland/NTC National Qualification in Pilates Small Equipment and Special Populations – 2012
- Human Motion Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Level 1 – 2012 & Certified Examination Passed 2013
- Spin City Aerial Hoop Instructor Beginner Level – 2013
- Ultimate Performance Strength & Conditioning Mentorship with Robbie Bourke – Sept 2013
- Spin City Aerial Hoop Instructor Intermediate Level – Dec 2013
- Vertical Dance Pole Fitness (Beginner exempt from 2011) Intermediate and Advanced Level Instructor - completed Dec 2016
- Body Control Pilates Reformer 1 - June 2014
- Practical Mat & Pilates to Go, Rebecca Leone Education Conspiracy - July 2014
- Pilates Based Exercise for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Matwork and Small Accessories - Nov 2014
- Rebekah Rotstein's Buff Bones Licensed Course - Pilates for Osteoporosis & Bone Health - June 2015
- Pilates Based Exercise for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Equipment - Nov 2015
- Performance Pilates for Cycling (APPI) - Sept 2015
- Performance Pilates for Running (APPI) - Sept 2015
- Stuart McGill Workshop: Building The Ultimate Back from Rehabilitation to High Performance - Sept 2015
- Pilates Based Exercise for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Equipment Based (Reformer) - Nov 2015
- Advanced Aerial Hoop - 2016
- Stretching for Flexibility for Pole and Aerial - 2016
- Pilates in Breast Cancer Rehabilitation (Body Control) - Feb 2016
- Return to Life Pilates Conference, Classical Method - July 2016
- Pilates Barre Training with Michael King – September 2016
- Pilates Update Training with Michael King – September 2016
- The Pelvic Floor in Pilates with Maeve Whelan - October 2016
- Pilates for Injuries & Pathologies with Sam Wood, BASI Pilates - October 2017
- Hanna Somatics Fundamentals Immersion Course with Martha Petersen - November 2017
- 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training with Yoga Medicine, Spain - May 2018 to Sept 2018
I have attended the following workshops and private training:
- Elite level diving training and conditioning - with international squad training in Ponds Forge, Sheffield, and in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane aquatic centres, Australia - 2003
- Pole Fitness - with Felix Cane (world champion), Evgeny Greshilov (world champion), Kristian Lebedev (world class ranked), Zoraya Judd (world class level), Bendy Kate (world champion), Daniel Rosen (world class level) on two occasions, Heidi Coker (world champion), Josiah Badazz Grant (world level) and Deb Riley (UK) - from 2009-2014
- Chinese pole training - with Caro Lion (circus performer) - 2010
- Silks, trapeze and handstand training - with Tina Machina of Tumble Circus (international circus performer) - various sessions between 2000 - to date
- Master Class in Stretching & Flexibility with Julie Bergez (Cirque du Soleil) - 2012
- Aerial Hoop workshops - with Bendy Kate (world class level) and Rebecca Starr (world class level) - 2012-2013
- Yoga workshops - with David Curtis and many international teachers, such as Kathryn Budig (photo below), Tamal Dodge, Tiffany Cruikshank, Alexandria Crow, Taylor Harkness, Phillip Askew and Barbara Norvell - from 2010-2016.
- AcroYoga 2 day workshops - with international teacher Jaqui Wan - 2015
- AcroYoga weekly practice sessions with Rob Patterson - from June - Sept 2017
I have professional membership of the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) and have been elected on the council of Association of Therapy Lecturers and the International Council of Health, Fitness and Sports Therapists. I am also fully insured with Balens to practice professionally in all areas.
SPORT SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Gold Award for the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme - 1994
- Womens' Artistic Gymnastics Club Coach (Cycle 5 Revalidation 30/03/99) - 1995
- British Athletics Federation - Level Two Coach (revised 2005) - 1996
- General Gymnastics Club Coach (Cycle 5 Revalidation 2000) - 1998
- PreSchool Gymnastics - Assistant Coach (Class 5) - 1998
- Swim Ireland - Assistant Swimming Teachers Certificate - 1999
- Bronze Medallion and Life Support 3 (currently out of date as not required) - 1999-2008
- Junior Club Development Tutor (Sports Council) - 2000
- NCF/SCNI Child Protection Awareness - 2000
- Amateur Swimming Association - Diving Teacher (Level 2) - 2001 (GBDF Level 1 1999)
- Gymnastics and Movement for People with Disabilities (Cycle 6 module) - 2001
- NCF/SCNI Coaching Children and Young People -2001
- NCF/SCNI Child Protection for Administrators -2001
- Junior Clubmark Running Sport Course - Valuing Volunteers -2001
- Junior Club Development - Equity and Equality Training - both 2002
- CNI/SCNI Motivation and Mental Toughness - 2002
- Trampoline Coach – Level 1 - 2003
- Womens' Artistic Gymnastics: Club Judge - 2002, Regional Judge - 2003
- NCF/SCNI Children’s Officer Training - 2005 & 2008
- Womens’ Artistic Gymnastics National Judge Cycle 12 2006-2013
- British Gymnastics Tutor Training Course- 2006 and Update Training - 2006
- British Gymnastics Tutor Level 2 / Examiner Level 2 - 2007
- Womens’ Artistic Gymnastics Senior Club Coach (Cycle 5) - 2007
- UKCC Level 1 Tutor & IAPS Assessor SCUK/BG - 2008
- UKCC Level 2 Tutor SCUK/BG - 2009
- SCNI Safeguarding Children & Young People in Sport - 2011
- Freestyle Gymnastics Level 2 - 2012
- Access NI Enhanced Disclosure Certificate – current and valid - I am a fully qualified and insured member through British Gymnastics
- Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice - September 2015
- UKCC Level 2 Mens Artistic Gymnastics Club Coach - September 2015
- Performance Pathway Coaching Clinic - Mens Artistic Gymnastics Level 1, National Club and Elite Grade Levels - Nov 2015
- Performance Pathway Coaching Clinic - Womens Artistic Gymnastics Level 1, National Club and Elite Grade Levels - Jan 2016
- General Gymnastics Level 3 Module 3 (Acrobatics) - March 2016, exam completed Oct 2017
- British Gymnastics Safeguarding Refresher Course - June 2017
- Advisor to Abbey Gymnastics Club in relation to injury prevention and injury reviews as required.
- Coach (from 1995) and judge (from 2002) at N.I. Womens’ Artistic Gymnastics competitions - to date. Judged at such competitions as Northern European Championships in Sept 2005 and Oct 2007, at the Celtic Cup Feb 2007 and 2008, and at Le Tournoi International in Belgium in May 2007. Also at GBR vs USA 2007, and the UK School Games 2008-2009.
- GNI WAG Technical Committee - Competition Convenor and advisor for NI events ‘07-‘10.
- Ulster Diving Club (UDC) founder, secretary, competition organiser and head coach at competitions, previously UDC treasurer, Swim Ulster and Swim Ireland committee member - 2000-2008
- Corporate sector health fairs and seminars for Health & Safety Week - 2000-2002.
- Sports Massage Therapist - Larne Junior and Ulster Swimming Squads - 1997 – 1999, including attending warm weather training with Ulster & Irish Swimming Squads as the team therapist.
- Belfast Marathon - 1997 - 1998.
- Gymnastics coach - Valley Gymnastics Club - 1992 - 1999.
- General Assistant - Special Needs National Gymnastics Championships 1995, Belfast Marathon 1996.
Well done and thank you if you have read this all the way through!! It has taken me a lifetime to get to where I am today!!