Stretching & Flexibility Instructor
My full time job is very busy which makes me value my free time even more. I have always been enthusiastic about fitness, health and wellbeing. I truly believe a healthy body and mind improves quality of life, which is why I'm passionate about exercise. Over the years I have experienced the benefits of using exercise for maintaining fitness and for stress relief. We all live busy lives so it's important to find a way to step out of the daily routine to de-stress, get fit and have fun. As a teenager I competed in cross country running, and as I enjoy other conventional exercise, running was soon replaced by more strength and cardio based exercise such as circuit training, step and spinning. As I like to challenge myself and support worthwhile causes I have been involved in a variety of charity events ranging from the odd 75K cycle to a solo parachute jump!
I am constantly looking for ways to push the boundaries to try something different and unconventional - which is how I discovered TDR Academy. What TDR offers is unique and different to any other gym, and allows me to explore the creative side of my personality with Aerial Fitness, which involves gymnastics based strength, conditioning and flexibility training combined with circus like activities, such as aerial hoop and trapeze. Tanya also incorporates Pilates movements into her classes of which my body has appreciated and learned from. When I get any windows of opportunity in time, I also train in Acroyoga and Aerial Yoga, furthering the love of acrobatics, when time permits in the already busy week!
To balance out all of the high impact exercising, I have practiced yoga for many years. I attended classes from 2005-2009 and started again from 2014. I have learned through experience and through the courses I have completed that it is vital to take care of my muscles and joints so that I can continue to enjoy and maintain my level of fitness and mobility.
Moving on to my next challenge, I felt I was ready to progress into the arena of teaching so I can share my love of exercise and my passion about taking care of our bodies. Through regular and focused stretching I believe we are able to increase our flexibility, while at the same time, extend the longevity for participation in high impact sport, or in whatever your work life, passions and hobbies take you through. We only get one body - so together, let's look after it!
MY PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
Courses completed to date:
- Ambulance Service Technician Training and Advanced Driving Training - 1999
- Leader as Coach Development Programme, Anne McMurray Development Ltd - April 2017
- Certificate in Anatomy & Physiology - April 2017
- Certificate in Instructing in Stretching & Flexibility in Aerial Fitness - May 2017
I have also attended the following workshops:
- Various workshops with Tina Segner, of Tumble Circus, in handstands, trapeze, partner acrobatics - 2015-2017
- AcroYoga 2 day workshops - with international teacher Jaqui Wan - 2015
- AcroYoga weekly practice sessions with Rob Patterson - from July - Sept 2017
- Posture Analysis & Correction Advice Workshop with Tanya Ross - Nov 2017
I am also fully insured through Balens specialists for Health and Wellbeing Professionals.
- Teaching Total Body Stretch and Aerial Yoga classes, as a student teacher, in TDR Academy - May - June 2017.
- Volunteer - assistant teacher in Aerial Fitness classes - April 2017 to date.
- Teaching Total Body Stretch/ Yoga Inspired Stretching classes, as a qualified teacher, in TDR Academy from June 2017 - to date.
VOLUNTARY WORK & CHARITY EVENTS
- RNLI Solo parachute jump - 2001
- Grand Canyon to Utah Zion Mountain cycle for Mencap - 2005
- Cancer Research UK Race for Life 5K run every year, Belfast - from 2006 to date
- Abseil BT Tower, in support of Cancer charity, Belfast, 2006
- ARC (Arthritis Research Charity) Jingle Bell 5K Run - 2007
- Bangor Coastal Challenge 75K cycle - 2010
- Assisi Hot Coal walk - 2011
- MAD Make a Difference charity cycle Larne to Cushendun - 2011
- Habitat For Humanity build in Romania - 2012
- Charity Trek for Methodist Worldwide Missions to Everest Base Camp - 2015
- Ballyclare May Fair 10K Race - 2016
- Titanic, Belfast 10K - 2017
Thank you for taking the time to get to know a little about me. I look forward to seeing you at TDR Academy.